Recent publications

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Issue 38: Artist Interview of Scrabby Knees

FEATURE BLOG: Singapore Artist

Real name : Weilin Tan
Nick/Artist name : Scrabbyknees


What’s your background?:
I love people! In my past life, I majored in psychology and worked as a healthcare market research manager, uncovering the underlying motivations behind behaviours of doctors and patients.

I'm now a story teller, and my work primarily entails using words and illustrations to tell stories of others and myself.


When did you start and what makes you started?:
Art is the only thing I love as much as people! I've loved it since I was a child, but being a pragmatic Singaporean from an average family, I never thought to pursue it as a career.



At the encouragement of a guy I met and dated through Tinder, I started illustrating again about two years ago. I found out through the strangest of ways that he was seeing other people (I'll save this story for another time), so we're no longer seeing each other (*laughs*) but I realised that art is my one and only true love and I've never stopped creating since.



What is your greatest strength? :
Definitely my personality! I have a very strong character - when I decide something, no one can change my mind. I also have quite a terrible sense of humour. Somehow, thankfully, people seem to like it.



Where does your Inspiration comes from?:
My inspiration comes from stories of others. Movies and books from existentialist philosophers, School of Life are a huge influence as well.



What is the most challenging part about being an Artist?:
Thinking of new ways to reinvent the wheel! Creating stuff that isn't just aesthetically pleasing, but meaningful.





What is your best achievement?:
A short story and accompanying illustration I created, 'The giant and the bird', will be published in an anthology by Epigram publishers and National library Board and released later this year as the highlight of of Read! Fest.

I'm really excited as its my first foray into travel writing and illustration.



What’s your favourite place to see art?:
In the classrooms of primary school children. They create the most insane things!



- - -

SUPPORT ARTIST & SPREAD THE INSPIRATIONS, FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM & FACEBOOK


@ARTFULLYSG


DO YOU KNOW ASPIRING SG ARTIST TOO? REFER TO US!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome collaborations!