Recent publications

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Issue 19: Artist Interview of Liu Ling

FEATURE BLOG: Singapore Artist

Real name & Artist name : Liu Ling


When did you start and what makes you started?

I first began with drawing Japanese anime style characters when I was around 12 or 13. Somehow half-face sized eyes just look so cute to me. Sailor Moon was my main muse. I don’t know exactly why but I just wanted to put what I like on paper. I had been doodling on and off for a long time,  and only from 2014 I started to learn art more seriously at Art Is studio (http://artis.sg). 


Where does your Inspiration come from?
Anything I see can be an inspiration. As Bob Ross put it, “Look around. Look at what we have. Beauty is everywhere — you only have to look to see it.” 


What is your best achievement?
I won Honorable Mention in 2016 Shades of Gray Competition, and the winning artwork Xiao Fang was featured by Drawing Magazine.

  
Which is your personal favourite? 
One of my favourites  is Look Me in the Eye 
(Photo reference is the cover of John Elder Robison's book of the same name.)


The other is a portrait of Albert Camus.


Who inspires you?
Many artists, old or young, dead or alive, have inspired me by their great artworks. Right now the names popping in my head are Rembrandt, John Singer Sargent, Norman Rockwell, Banksy, Henry Yan, Dave McKean, Chuck Close, Shea Hembrey. I also get inspired by people from other walks of life  scientists, writers, TED speakers, fictional characters, etc. Passion and interesting ideas are always inspiring.


Advice for aspiring artist?
I don’t feel qualified enough to give advice. I’d like to recommend  Neil Gaiman’s commencement speech “Make Good Art” to every artist of any kind. “And now go, and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here. Make good art.”



SUPPORT LOCAL ARTIST , FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM & FACEBOOK


@ARTFULLYSG


DO YOU KNOW ASPIRING SG ARTIST TOO? REFER TO US!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome collaborations!