Recent publications

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Issue 3: Photographer Interview of Akai Chew



Photography by Akai Chew



When did you start and what makes you started? 
My aunt stayed in an old shophouse. I begun to notice other shophouse and how beautiful they are. My dad had a point and shoot film camera. I liked to press the shutter button and hear the film whirl. I begun to walk around the city exploring new places with my camera.
How do you find your inspiration? 
I am inspired by architecture, especially those by Luis Barragan and Tadao Ando. In how light reacts in a spatial environment.
I also browse online for visual references for my fashion works. Frequently I shoot fashion as how I would shoot architecture, by capturing the forms and essence of the subject.
What is your best achievement?
Getting an honourable mention in Harper's Bazaar ION Orchard photography competition in 2012 and seeing my work published on Harper's Bazaar. Also interning at Milk Photographie, a top commercial photography studio.
Which is your personal favourite?
Pearlbank series titled "Bane of Urbanism".

Who inspires you?
Tadao Ando and Nick Knight

Words or advice for aspiring artist? 
Dare to create, dream big

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome collaborations!